UKNova Radio Community internet radio for (former) users of UKNova
The following programmes are regularly broadcast:
Show in timezone: UTC
The Ack Show
Testicle scratching time
Pat's Sunday show
Backed by Thomster and SocialistDave
New server details
UKNR is now running on new server software, Icecast. This gives us some extra features (such as the sustainer stream and more reliable HTML5 player) and should crash less than the old software (Shoutcast).
Icecast still supports Shoutcast DJ connections so in most cases you should be able to continue without changing your old settings (uknr.org, port 8000).
The main exception is that the ‘Shoutcast 2’ protocol is no longer supported. If your DJ app settings are set to connect using Shoutcast 2, please change to ‘Shoutcast 1’ or ‘Icecast’.
If you use the Icecast protocol then the mount point you want is just ‘/’ and the username doesn't matter.
- Winamp Shoutcast DSP plugin: go to Winamp Preferences, Plug-ins, select the ‘SHOUTcast Source DSP’, Configure active plug-in. On the Output tab, select the output being used and in ‘Output configuration’ ensure the ‘Use SHOUTcast v1 mode (for legacy servers)’ option is ticked.
- SAM Broadcaster: either ‘ShoutCast’ or ‘IceCast’ server types are fine.
- Edcast: either ‘Shoutcast’ or ‘Icecast2’ server types are fine.
- Nicecast: either ‘Shoutcast’ or ‘Icecast 2’ server types are fine.
- idjc: either ‘Shoutcast master’ or ‘Icecast2 master’ server types are fine.
Some DJ apps try to scrape listener numbers out of server-specific statistics pages. If the app is looking for a Shoutcast page this will no longer work. If you care about seeing listener numbers in your app you may need to reconfigure it:
- SAM Broadcaster: add an ‘Icecast2 statistic relay’ pointing at host uknr.org port 80. No password or SID required. (Note don't use port 8000; the stats relay there only works with an admin password so you'll get an authentication error.)
- The server address http://uknr.org:8000/ will now always return a radio stream, rather than sometimes giving a server status page. If you want the status page, you can find that at /status.xsl.
- Any automated info scraper bots should avoid the HTML interface and instead get raw data from /status-xml.xsl, /status-json.xsl or /status-jsonp.xsl.
- Please broadcast only in MP3, and not other formats like AAC or OGG. These are less well-supported and will likely not work through the web player or some phones.
- Unless there is a good reason to prefer a different bitrate, stick to 128 kbit/s. This wiil give the smoothest handover from/to the sustainer service.
- We're looking to fill some of the sustainer service time with repeats of old shows. Please let us know if you have any of your old shows recorded.
- If you have any problems please contact us in IRC #uknova.radio!